Philips monitor 180B2
  • From: Alex Angerhofer <alex@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 10:10:10 -0400 (EDT)
Hi List,

I have a Philips 180B2 LCD monitor on my 4-node cluster running SuSE linux
8.2. Unfortunately, this monitor is not represented in the hardware
database. This is not a huge problem as it is just a 1280x1024@60Hz LCD
screen and once X was configured alright I can work with it under runlevel
5. The weird thing is that it will not work under runlevel 3. In other
words, when I try to switch to one of the consoles I end up with a black
screen and a moving error message "cannot display this video mode, change
computer display to 1280x1024@60Hz 46. 40K/86. 72 Hz". As you can imagine
this makes it fun to install or upgrade... Basically I have to use a
different monitor to do any fresh installation or upgrade. Then, going
back to the Philips monitor I have to start up blind in runlevel 3, log on
as root and start sax2 to set configure X, then start yast to reset the
start-up runlevel to 5.
Well, I had hoped that 9.1 would solve the issue, but unfortunately, that
is not the case. So, my question is this: can I specify the correct screen
resolution and refresh rates during the boot options? The grub boot menu
is displayed alright and if I could only figure out what to put there on
the options line I figure I'd be alright. Can someone please point me to a
list with the boot options that are recognized by the suse kernels?

Thank you very much, Alex.