Re: [SLE] dual boot for two distro in lilo menu - it should be easy but doesn't work
  • From: Adagilson Batista Bispo da Silva <adagilson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 09:05:13 -0300
Thanks for replying, Vince!
I prefer SuSE LILO and, as I said, it have been edited to put "slackware" as another option in /etc/lilo.conf (SuSE).

Vince Littler escreveu:

On Wednesday 19 May 2004 7:28 pm, Adagilson Batista Bispo da Silva wrote:

sorry, I don't understand yet what is missing in my lilo.conf (SuSE in
/dev/hda6) to make my option "slackware" bootable. Slackware is in
/dev/hda10 and the option "linux" (for SuSE) is booting.
I can boot slackware with the cd-rom and entering:
$bare.i root=/dev/hda10 noinitrd ro
If I can boot with CD-ROM, so there is nothing wrong with the slackware
partition. So, how could I make it bootable too, via boot menu of SuSE?
Thanks for any help
a.
To understand my situation take a look at:
http://lists.suse.com/archive/suse-linux-e/2004-May/2581.html

[...]
So assuming that you will work with the SUSE LILO, you must refer to everything as seen by SUSE, even the Slackware. For example your SUSE lilo.conf includes:

image = /boot/vmlinuz label = linux append = "hdc=ide-scsi" initrd = /boot/initrd root = /dev/hda6 vga = 788
image = /boot/vmlinuz label = slackware root = /dev/hda10 vga = normal read-only
image = /boot/vmlinuz.suse label = failsafe append = "ide=nodma apm=off acpi=off hdc=ide-scsi" initrd = /boot/initrd.suse optional root = /dev/hda6 vga = 788
which says these things:

1] Your SUSE partition is /hda6 and slackware is /hda10

2] Your main SUSE kernel is /boot/vmlinuz and initrd is /boot/initrd as seen by SUSE

3] Your failsafe SUSE kernel is /boot/vmlinuz.suse and initrd is /boot/
initrd.suse as seen by SUSE

4] Your Slackware kernel is your main SUSE kernel with no initrd

You may have reason to boot Slackware with a SUSE kernel, but if SUSE requires the initrd, so would Slackware. More likely, you want to run Slackware with its own kernel. If this is the case, you must mount the partition with the Slackware kernel in SUSE and give the path to the kernel as SUSE sees it in lilo.conf, before running LILO in SUSE.

Checking lilo.conf (SLACK) build by Slackware itself, I can't see none initrd. Booting with CD-ROM the kernel bare.i works fine to me. I just have to enter manually:
bare.i root=/dev/hda10 noinitrd ro
(IMHO, it seems that it doesn't use initrd. Isn't it?!)

Trying to boot via SuSE LILO menu (option slackware) this error is appearing:
Boot: /dev/hda10, loader /boot/chain.b
Fatal: First sector of /dev/hda10 doesn't have a valid boot signature
or yet
Kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount boot FS on 03:10a
Some more ideas?
[],
a.

< Previous Next >