Re: [SLE] SUSE 9.1 - BAH! (hard drives)
  • From: Doug McGarrett <dmcgarrett@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 21:23:16 -0400
On Wednesday 19 May 2004 20:31, Thom Nuzum wrote:
> Thanks Ben,
> Well I rebooted a couple of times and I am back in Windows with no
> clicking sound. I think I will keep rebooting until something goes, but
> will exchange it Tomorrow anyway: i don't know what else the sound could
> have been.
>
> > * Thom Nuzum (linux@xxxxxxxxxxx) [040519 16:50]:
> >>I spoke too soon.
> >>On my fourth boot into Windows I have lost my Boot Loader completely and
> >> what
> >>followed was an awful clicking sound and a boot into SuSE. My system bios
> >>now flashes around like crazy opening and closing things.
> >>My hard drive is new so I can return it. I suspect it is finished.
> >>Can anyone recommend a workable hard drive if thats my problem.
> >>Mine was a Maxtor 250GB (they were on sale and had the Novell stamp of
> >>approval) very funny.
> >
> > But that was for Netware. If you want to use SUSE then you have to
> > choose Seagate. ;)
> >
> > I refuse to buy Maxtors after I had 3 die on me in a 6 month period. I
> > avoid them if possible.

/snip/

All hd's fail sooner or later. I've had better luck with IBM than any others,
over a period of maybe 15 years of hd's, but one of my IBM SCSI's
just died. It was maybe 7 years old, at most. Of course, it was the one
that had Linux on it. This machine is running SuSE 9.1 and MSW on IBM
EIDE's. My first EIDE's in a long time, and I have no history for them. The
machine is new.

--doug

< Previous Next >