Re: [SLE] Weird Modem Behaviour
  • From: Bruce Marshall <bmarsh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 14:57:18 -0400

> > > Thanks for confirming what I have exprienced (very, very close to being
> > > the same as you). See my message I sent yesterday with the Subject of
> > > SUSE 5.1 - BAH!
> >
> > Basil:
> >
> > Can you tell me what kernel you are running (with 9.1) and then check
> > in /boot and see if CONFIG_PREEMPT is set.
> >
> > I have recompiled 2.6.6 with preempt turned off and it seems (after just
> > a few minutes) to have solved my problem with slow modem thruput. It
> > would seem that it could also solve your problem.
> >

> > --
> > +------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >-- --+ + Bruce S. Marshall bmarsh@xxxxxxxxxx Bellaire, MI
> > 05/19/04 14:17 +
> > +------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >-- --+ "If God had meant for us to go to rock concerts, he would have
> > given us tickets."
>
> Since I started the thread... <G> ...I'll respond: The kernel is the
> default installation kernel for 9.1 Personal. Now, a question: How dows
> one check the preemption?

Well, since I don't have 9.1 *anything*, I still don't know what kernel *you*
have.

Do a: uname -r to find out what it is.

You should have in /boot, a file named config-2.6.xxxxx--blah that defines
the config used for the kernel. Look in this file for CONFIG-PREEMPT.

However, removing preemption didn't solve my problem it appears so I am still
looking at what the problem might be.

> Thanks!
> - --
> ...CH
> Avoid doing business with 'The Link' ISP.
> SuSE Is All U Need
> Linux user# 313696
> Linux box# 199365

+ Bruce S. Marshall bmarsh@xxxxxxxxxx Bellaire, MI 05/19/04 14:55 +