Re: [SLE] Running Gnome Application
  • From: "Hylton Conacher (ZR1HPC)" <hylton@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 15:22:51 +0200
James Ogley wrote:
I thought one of the main strengths of the OS was that you could run Gnome apps if you were using KDE or vice versa, provided of course that you had the Gnome libraries loaded.

Applications yes, but both DEs have their own panel, which can have
special mini-applications called applets embedded within them.

There is also the freedesktop.org "Notification Area" standard, which
both DEs support, but this is for icons that can be used to control full
applications (like the System Tray in a certain less-free strain of OSs)
OK,

So in other words if I have seen a GNOME CPU applet I cannot have that
same applet in my own KDE? so in other words the look and feel or icons
are DE specific but the programs can be ported between the two?

Hylton