Opinions about a small LAN with real IP shortage
  • From: John Chronakis <linux@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 12:41:24 +0300
Hello,

I am setting up a lan for a small business which will also connect to the Internet with SDSL and 8 real IP subnet.
The gateway will be a suse box. I only need 2 servers with real ips. The rest of the pcs will be clients.

I have 2 alternate plans in my mind.
1. Create 2 subnets. One with the real ips and the 2 servers, and one with 192.168.* for the clients. Linux will have 3 interfaces (DSL, real ip eth, internal eth)
2. Create one subnet with 192.168.* and create real ips as aliases for the servers (I use something similar in my home lan)

The first looks more serious and more secure, but leaves 4 real ips unused. It also makes more difficult the usage of p2p and similar software by the client PCs. The second looks more like a hack but it looks attractive, maybe because it is simpler.

Do you have any suggestions? I cannot make up my mind.

Thanks in advance.