Re: [SLE] newbie question: modems
  • From: Luca Mollica <luca_mollica@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 10:01:15 +0200
On Wednesday 19 May 2004 05:40, BandiPat wrote:
> On Tuesday 18 May 2004 10:25 pm, nimmo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > I have installed suse linux perfectly, except it will not cooperate
> > with the winmodem on my machine (PCI). Can somebody suggest a modem
> > that will go on my cheap eMachines PC either in a PCI slot or
> > external? I'm looking for the most painless option possible, of
> > course. Thanks.

I think that the best thing to do, before buying a new modem device, is to
test if the winmodem can work with drivers provided with SUSE and/or
www.linuxant.com: if your modem chipset is recognised and supported, this
kind of drivers can be used successfully.
Please visit linuxant website and use the scanmodem script (by Marvin
Stodolvsky) you can find therein: it will check the chipset and give
indications about the usage of drivers. This page provides full details about
installation procedures:

http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/archive-fourth/msg00350.html

It is not so hard, so it is worth to try......

LM