9.1 on Dell latitude C600
  • From: Alex Angerhofer <alex@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 19:51:43 -0400 (EDT)
After I got my new 9.1 professional last week I kept sitting on it due to
lack of time and the fear and trepidation that always comes with a new
SuSE version. Well, today seems like a good day to die, so I took the
plunge. The first system I was going to install it on was my old Dell
Latitude C600 which is a triple-boot Win98/W2k/SuSE9.0 system. When I
first got it I put 8.0 on it which went pretty well. That was followed
with 8.1, 8.2, and finally 9.0 in time. The upgrade to 9.0 ended up to be
impossible to do on this system so I went with a clean fresh install which
still left lots to be desired. For example, 9.0 didn't recognize the
display resolution. Well, now it is time to see whether 9.1 does better...

1. observation: system upgrade went quickly and smoothly up to the point
where the system was to boot up to the console. Then I discovered that 9.1
had left my keyboard behind. No response whatsoever. This was even more
surprising as I was able to use the keyboard to search for packages during
the install process. So much for initial hardware recognition and
automatic setup...

2. cold boot and try again: In order to get back into the "installation
loop" of YaST I selected a small package to be installed that wasn't
before during the "upgrade install". After getting into YaST I then chose
to configure my display first and correct the wrong size. I checked the
keyboard and that seemed to be fine. After finishing with YaST I was able
to use the keyboard and still have no idea why it wouldn't let me do that
during the first try.

3. So far so good. I guess the real test comes sometime later this week
when I will attempt to upgrade my modified Dell Optiplex G1. 9.0 was a
bear to install. I'll see whether 9.1 is doing better.

Cheers, Alex.

  • No further messages