Locale troubles with Suse 9.1
  • From: Jyry Kuukkanen <jyry@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 19:17:26 +0300 (EEST)

Hello

I have major troubles with Suse Linux 9.1 when it comes to non-English
characters using Konsole or actual console.

I use Finnish/Swedish keyboard layout, and äöå are working fine, but every
non-Scandinavian accented letter messes up in big way.

Either accented "a" or any other prints out silly smiley or similar, and
espcecially writing an e-mail using pine is absolute madness, when
writing with non-a-to-z characters becomes uneditable.

Before going further in the diagnosis, is there a simple solution to this?

I have done few tests where this problems occurs to rule out possibilities
of KDE etc, but this seems to be deeper in Suse Linux 9.1 -- currently I
am writing this e-mail using Gentoo that has no such problems like Suse
Linux 9.0 had.

Cheers for now.

--
--Jyry