Re: [SLE] USB scanners in 9.1
  • From: Patrick Shanahan <paka@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 11:16:44 -0500
* Fergus Wilde <fwilde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [05-18-04 10:03]:
> On Tuesday 18 May 2004 15:35, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> > * Fergus Wilde <fwilde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [05-18-04 09:17]:
> > > Yes, sorry, me again, seem to be having rather a fight with 9.1 as
> > > compared with 9.0, this time it's the scanner, which has been set up
> > > nicely for several versions. Installs OK, but then xsane says 'no
> > > device'. It suggests checking ownership of device file, but
> > > /dev/usbscanner is owned by my user.
> >
> > If you read this list you would see that an on-going discussion exists
> > with the most recent post just ~20 minutes ago:
>
> Indeed. Well, I have been glancing at the list for the last few years, oddly
> enough, and that'd be the SCSI scanners thread I suppose - OK, I freely admit
> that the SCSI subject line and almost exclusively SCSI content of these post
> did prevent my seeing the connection with the USB scanner problem I've
> outlined. In fact, the 'solved' post does nothing to solve my problems, so
> perhaps the sarcasm wasn't necessary.

SCSI and USB are treated similarly...

> The OP also has a different problem - mine is that YaST sees the scanner,
> apparently identifies it correctly, and says it's set it up, but xsane claims
> it doesn't exist. I'm also trying to
>

> > From: Frits W|thrich <frits@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> > To: suse-linux-e@xxxxxxxx
> > Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 15:20:31 +0200
> > Subject: Re: [SLE] SCSI scanners (SOLVED)
> >

> > --
> > Patrick Shanahan Registered Linux User #207535
> > http://wahoo.no-ip.org @ http://counter.li.org
> > HOG # US1244711
>
> --
> Fergus Wilde
> Chetham's Library
> Long Millgate
> Manchester
> M3 1SB
>
> Tel: +44 161 834 7961
> Fax: +44 161 839 5797
>
> http://www.chethams.org.uk

You do not say *which* scanner you have, but
perhaps you should look under /etc/sane.d/ ie:
epson.conf:

# epson.conf
#
# here are some examples for how to configure the EPSON backend
#
# SCSI scanner:
scsi EPSON
#
# Parallel port scanner:
#pio 0x278
#pio 0x378
#pio 0x3BC
#
# USB scanner - only enable this if you have an EPSON scanner. It could
# otherwise block your non-EPSON scanner from being
# recognized.
# Depending on your distribution, you may need either the
# first or the second entry.
#usb /dev/usbscanner0
#usb /dev/usb/scanner0

(repost to list, mis-sent direct to Mr. Wilde)
HOG # US1244711