Re: [SLE] Upgrading & New Installs (Was how good SuSE is)
  • From: John Coldrick <jc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 17 May 2004 17:40:21 -0400
On Mon, 2004-05-17 at 17:29, Stephen W wrote:

> My opinion (MNTBHO): When I was in the Windows
> environment I learned quite early to not to try to
> upgrade a version.

I think that's very true, I personally consider my home cut of windows
as something with about a 2 years max shelf life. Usually by then, if
not earlier, I'll re-install everything from scratch and it will
overhaul completely my computing experience. Linux (any distro)
certainly has it's pains in doing this, but I would say that it's not as
bad as Windows as long as you consider yourself at least an intermediate
level user. Most of the time, it tends to be about getting mods up to
date with the kernel, you lose your sound or display, etc. With
Windows, there's things like registry bloat and conflicts, spyware,
worms, etc. I simply won't bother upgrade Windows ever, whereas I will
occasioanlly with Linux. I think the Registry is probably the single
biggest reason for this.

However, having said that, I tend to back up my data and re-install no
matter what OS I'm talking about...:) There is one downside to that,
however - some config aspects of Linux involve a lot of hard work and
research, and starting over again can really be a pain. The big
advantage is if the new version you're installing is better at
configging your hardware for you...

Cheers,

J.C.

--
John Coldrick www.axyzfx.com Axyz Animation
Houdini/Renderman/Discreet 425 Adelaide St W