Re: [SLE] short fizzing sound
  • From: The Purple Tiger <Jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 20:36:35 +0100
On Monday 17 May 2004 19:32, Thom Nuzum wrote:
> Yes its CRT.
> I think you must be right as I have tried everything else.
> How can I clean this without dying.
> Thanks
It may also be a leaky capacitor, but we will start with the dust
theory :)

Please be warned that this is done entirely at your own risk. Please
also note that the second option below isn't that difficult if you are
CAREFUL.

If you don't feel confident taking the monitor apart (see below if you
do :)) then you can try the following:

Get a can of "Pressurised Air".
Turn off the monitor, unplug it and leave it for 10-15 minutes for the
capacitors to discharge fully [so you don't go pop :)] .
Give the can a few short sharp blasts through all of the vent holes in
the monitor - the reason you only want short blasts is that it can be
very cold if you spray for a prolonged period (due to expansion of
gases causing a temperature drop) and may crack the tube.
Leave 10 minutes for it all the stabilise, dust to settle, etc.
Try the monitor.

If you do feel confident about removing the case of your monitor (I have
done this faaaar too many times :) then move the monitor to a solid
work area, preferably wooden.
Leave it for 10-15 mins for the capacitors to discharge fully.
Lay a cloth/towel on the surface and lay the monitor CAREFULLY on its
front (glass) end.
Remove all the screws and carefully remove the back casing. You may
have to feed the cabling through the holes in the case.
Using a can of pressurised air and a soft paintbrush (for those stubborn
areas). BE CAREFUL NOT TO REMOVE ANY CONNECTORS, NOR TO KNOCK THE
CIRCUIT BOARD OFF THE BACK OF THE TUBE. Be careful not to move any of
the components on the boards too - most of them will stand up to light
brushing.
When you have finished your internal renovation work, carefully slide
the case back on (remembering to feed the cables [if required] as you
go).
Put your screws back in.
Leave 10 mins for the dust to settle.
Plug and pray :)

If the problem persists after the second option then either you didn't
do a very good job, or a component part is on its way out. I have had
one go bang after it had been fizzing for a while, but I have yet to
break a monitor by taking it apart :g:.

Just make sure it has been off for a little while (and by that I mean
that it has no power lead connected!) to make sure that all the
electricity is discharged from it.

Hope this helps :)

Jon

< Previous Next >