Re: [SLE] compiler missing
  • From: C Hamel <vgm2@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 12:43:46 -0500

On Monday 17 May 2004 09:40, Anders Johansson wrote:
> On Monday 17 May 2004 16.19, C Hamel wrote:
> > I understand that, now... but what puzzles me is why SuSE does that when
> > each & every free distro contains all this! I can understand not having
> > the commercial apps, if any, but the devel stuff? C'mon.
>
> You're missing the point. The personal version came about when tons of
> users all over the place were complaining that suse included too much
> stuff, that they were scaring away the users who crossed over from windows.
> These users, the argument went, had no use for 15 different text editors,
> no use for 10 different shells, and more often than not they can't eve
> spell 'compiler'. All they want is a distribution with a nice set of
> features, selected as 'best of breed' from linux apps, and a nicely laid
> out menu.
>
> And once their feet are wet and they have a little more experience, and
> they feel they want to do more with their machine, they can take the step
> up to the pro
>
> So you see, you are not the target market.
...As someone once said: "Follow the money." I see your point, in a way, but
my point is that, until two or three months ago I didn't use the devel stuff,
either. It just got left on the CD. There's a choice: (1)Install; (2)Don't
install.

<G>
- --
...CH
Avoid doing business with 'The Link' ISP.
SuSE Is All U Need
Linux user# 313696
Linux box# 199365

< Previous Next >