Re: [SLE] SUSE 9.1 - BAH!
  • From: Pieter Hulshoff <phulshof@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 18:46:48 +0200
> The other thing- how the heck do you turn-off the damn screen saver? or
> rather stop the screen from blanking out after some (?)10 minutes or so?
> With the screen saver turned off the screen blanks - to GREAT annoyance
> to me - unless something is constantly displayed on the screen.

It's the X blank/standby/suspend/offtime options that do this. I don't know if
there's an elegant SuSE way to take care of this, but I've turned it off
using the following X options (in XF86Config):

Option "BlankTime" "time"
sets the inactivity timeout for the blanking phase of the screensaver. time is
in minutes. This is equivalent to the Xserver's `-s' flag, and the value can
be changed at run-time with xset(1) . Default: 10 minutes.
Option "StandbyTime" "time"
sets the inactivity timeout for the "standby" phase of DPMS mode. time is in
minutes, and the value can be changed at run-time with xset(1) . Default: 20
minutes. This is only suitable for VESA DPMS compatible monitors, and may not
be supported by all video drivers. It is only enabled for screens that have
the "DPMS" option set (see the MONITOR section below).
Option "SuspendTime" "time"
sets the inactivity timeout for the "suspend" phase of DPMS mode. time is in
minutes, and the value can be changed at run-time with xset(1) . Default: 30
minutes. This is only suitable for VESA DPMS compatible monitors, and may not
be supported by all video drivers. It is only enabled for screens that have
the "DPMS" option set (see the MONITOR section below).
Option "OffTime" "time"
sets the inactivity timeout for the "off" phase of DPMS mode. time is in
minutes, and the value can be changed at run-time with xset(1) . Default: 40
minutes. This is only suitable for VESA DPMS compatible monitors, and may not
be supported by all video drivers. It is only enabled for screens that have
the "DPMS" option set (see the MONITOR section below).

Set them all to 0 in your Serverflags Section, and your problem should
disappear (after an X reboot of course:).

Regards,

Pieter Hulshoff