Re: [SLE] compiler missing
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 16:40:50 +0200
On Monday 17 May 2004 16.19, C Hamel wrote:
> I understand that, now... but what puzzles me is why SuSE does that when
> each & every free distro contains all this! I can understand not having
> the commercial apps, if any, but the devel stuff? C'mon.

You're missing the point. The personal version came about when tons of users
all over the place were complaining that suse included too much stuff, that
they were scaring away the users who crossed over from windows. These users,
the argument went, had no use for 15 different text editors, no use for 10
different shells, and more often than not they can't eve spell 'compiler'.
All they want is a distribution with a nice set of features, selected as
'best of breed' from linux apps, and a nicely laid out menu.

And once their feet are wet and they have a little more experience, and they
feel they want to do more with their machine, they can take the step up to
the pro

So you see, you are not the target market.