Re: [SLE] YOU caused 8.2 to not boot
  • From: John Andersen <jsa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 20:10:12 -0800
On Saturday 15 May 2004 13:45, Terry Eck wrote:
> Hi
>
> I updated k_athlon-2.4.20-109 to k_athlon-2.4.20-111 along with
> other programs YOU selected. After it finished I decided to reboot
> to use the updated kernel. During reboot the screen only showed the
> file "initrd (hd0,1)/initrd" was not found and the system halted.
> Reboot using CD Recovery mode and looked at /boot and found there was
> no initrd. I next made a mistake and copied the initrd from a backup
> source. On reboot the system halted with the work "GRUB" on the screen
> and would not allow any keyboard input. I'm now using my backup system
> which is a mirror off hda on hdb. If you've read this far and follow
> the above, I have the following questions:
>
> 1) Is there a bug in YOU for the latest kernel patch where initrd does
> not get created for the new kernel?
>
> 2) Knowing that the initrd file was missing, could I have created it?
> And if so, how?
>
> As it stands now I've lost confidence in YOU. In the past I've never
> had problems using YOU even with kernel updates.
>
> Regards,
> Terry
> PS: Just bought 9.2 Pro and will be installing over the next couple
> of weeks. I'd like to understand what happened with YOU before
> going further.
> --
> SuSE Linux 8.2 (i586) ---- 2.4.20-4GB-athlon --- Sat 05/15/04 16:20
> 4:20pm up 8:33, 3 users, load average: 0.21, 0.16, 0.18

I had the same problem with a dual celeron machine. You totally
hoze initrd, and nothing would load. When I build it, it still wouldn't
work because of some new found incompatibility with my IDE controler
that I use for software raid. It managed to hoze one of the drives
in the raid array trying to load.

I went back to an earlier kernel, and am staying there until I
put 9.1 down on the server.

--
John Andersen