Re: [SLE] Palm sync with Evolution in 9.1
  • From: C Hamel <vgm2@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 21:58:18 -0500

On Sunday 16 May 2004 21:21, David Krider wrote:
> I *must* be the only person in the entire world masochistic enough to
> try to sync a Palm device with *anything* in Linux. Seriously. I simply
> *have* to be. Because it doesn't work. Ever. I've used Linux as my main
> OS for something like 7 years now, and every single iteration, I think,
> "This will be it. They'll finally get it this time." But "they" never,
> ever do. All I want is to sync my Pilot (a Tungsten T) with something --
> anything -- under Linux like I've been able to do -- flawlessly -- for
> NINE STRAIGHT YEARS under Windows. I guess that's simply too much to
> ask. Forget the fact that it's still impossible to give me the ability
> to sync memos under Evolution, or to support bi-directional categories.
> Apparently, no one coding any of the THREE LAYERS INVOLVED has ever seen
> this as something that someone would want. Why am I so strange? But even
> this is not enough for SuSE 9.1. No. Every single time I try to set up
> my Palm under Evolution's "wizard," gpilotd dies. So I tried Multisync.
> That *looks* like it works, but it actually doesn't. It will only
> transfer stuff from Evo to the Palm. Don't get me started about the fact
> that "Both" is suspiciously MISSING from the filter rules, and the way
> it's working is EXACTLY BACKWARDS of how I have the plugins defined.
> (Okay, you got me. I'm already started.) So, last but not least, I try
> Ol' Faithful, jpilot, but it now seems to only show me the contents of
> about half of my memos. So, to sum up, I now have 3 ways of doing
> something completely half-way, ALL of which DO. NOT. WORK! I realize
> that this is now considered the absolute hardest problem in open source
> software, and that it will take the combined talents of Torvalds,
> Raymond, and Stallman to get it working, but I sleep better knowing that
> "top men" are working 'round the clock to fix this.
>
> Sigh.
>
> Why aren't we living in the future yet?
>
> So, ok. I'll spare you the obvious retort. I started looking for some
> documentation to try to fix this myself. It's, shall we say, fractured,
> at best. Through some broken domains and old email addresses, I *hope*
> that I've finally gotten a message off the lead coder on gnome-pilot.
> We'll see how this works out, but so far, it's not looking good.
>
> dk
I stopped using a Palm about seven years ago, I think... but as memory serves
I had a fair amount of luck w/pilot-link, a command-line driven app. Not
perfect, mind you, but far better than zip, zero, nada, nothing.
- --
...CH
Avoid doing business with 'The Link' ISP.
SuSE Is All U Need ...but it won't synch a Palm.
Linux user# 313696
Linux box# 199365