Re: [SLE] SuSE 7.1 Recovery
  • From: C Hamel <vgm2@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 16:00:09 -0500

On Sunday 16 May 2004 13:43, David Johanson wrote:
> C Hamel wrote:
> >
> > On Sunday 16 May 2004 10:18, David Johanson wrote:
> >>David Johanson wrote:
> >>
> >><snip>

> >><snip>
> >>
> >>Well, it proved to get more interesting after I tried a re-install of
> >>windows (it failed) and I tried to reboot 7.1. The boot disk didn't work
> >>giving only LIL- and stopping after that. I guess you set 7.1 to boot
> >> from one specific site be it a drive or a floppy disk, but not both. So
> >> I tried a couple of versions of SuSE just for kicks getting successful
> >> only with the 9.1 version the others not providing mouse support.
> >>
> >>So I'm still in the dark as to how one actually makes a boot disk(s) that
> >>work when the normal MBR approach doesn't work.
> >>
> >>dave
> >>
> >>--
> >>David C. Johanson
> >>Linux Counter # 116410
> >>Powered by SuSE Linux 7.1
> >>
> >>People who behold a phenomenon will often extend their thinking beyond
> >>it; people who merely hear about the phenomenon will not be moved to
> >>think at all. -- Goethe
> >
> > If I understand your post & you're running WindozeXP on a dual-boot you
> > first have to run 'fixmbr' from the 'Repair' function on your XP
> > installation disk. That'll put the mbr back to rights so that you can
> > boot your OS. Then, if your SuSE7.1 disk is like the later ones, you can
> > use it to boot your SuSE & rewrite the mbr w/the boot loader. Been there
> > a couple times, or so, myself. ;-)
> >
> > HTH...
> > - --
> > ...CH
>
> Thanks for the suggestion, but the windoze side is 98se.
>
> dave
>
> --
> David C. Johanson
> Linux Counter # 116410
> Powered by SuSE Linux 7.1
>
> People who behold a phenomenon will often extend their thinking beyond
> it; people who merely hear about the phenomenon will not be moved to
> think at all. -- Goethe
Okay! If you can get to your partition via a floppy boot disk (borrow one if
you have to! <G>) then perform the following: 'fdisk /mbr' & you will find
that (1)your MBR is fixed; (2)grub/lilo is gone (but that is fixable, too).

HTH...
- --
...CH
Avoid doing business with 'The Link' ISP.
SuSE Is All U Need
Linux user# 313696
Linux box# 199365

< Previous Next >