Re: [SLE] Mplayer requires liblzo
  • From: C Hamel <vgm2@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 09:02:24 -0500

On Saturday 15 May 2004 23:57, Preston Crawford wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-05-15 at 17:37, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> > * C Hamel <vgm2@xxxxxxxxxx> [05-15-04 18:37]:
> > > Largely that answers my questions. The rub is that my YaST shows no
> > > lzo. Not there; zip; zero; nada. I'm not on Pro. I have most
> > > everything else except that. I can't imagine not being able to use
> > > mplayer just_because I am not runnning Pro...?
> >
> > Gee.... If it is a suse file provided on the install cd's but only on
> > Professional, where do you suppose it might be ???
> >
> > Come on. This is basic, 1st grade or even kindergarten. It's like
> > finding your way home from work, doesn't count stopping for a brew on
> > the way.
>
> I think that's a little harsh. SuSE Personal is (to put it nicely)
> crippled in such a way that it would be hard for anyone, even an
> experienced user to figure out where to go to get the correct packages.
> I know I bought Personal the first time I ever bought SuSE and it pissed
> me off it was so crippled. No way to compile programs so you HAVE to use
> RPMs to install software. And then they don't include certain RPMs you
> need. I don't know, I just think it's a bad package. The only thing I'd
> fault a user of SuSE Personal for is for not throwing it in the trash
> and buying Pro. :-)
>
> Preston
Well... I guess one is entitled to his opinion. Fact is, I'm not new to
Linux, only the Personal version, which is the only version I have ever used
where the compilation tools were not integral w/the distro. Tell you what,
though: I'm becoming a SuSE-snob, too. ;-) <LOL>
- --
...CH
Avoid doing business with 'The Link' ISP.
SuSE Is All U Need
Linux user# 313696
Linux box# 199365

< Previous Next >