Re: [SLE] SuSE 9.1 & /sbin/SuSEconfig configuration files
  • From: John Lalla <john.lalla@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 21:23:45 -0700 (PDT)
On 16 May, Anthony Edwards wrote:
> I have been running SuSE since 7.3, and am currently running 8.2
> Professional. In the last 24 hours, I have installed 9.1 Professional
> on an old testbed machine to evaluate it.
>
> I would like to upgrade my main machine, with the proviso that I need
> to be able to override a change that SuSE have made to the default
> Blackbox window manager configuration, which is slightly odd and a
> visual mess to say the least.
>
> Blackbox relies on two global configuration files:
>
> /usr/share/blackbox/menu
> /usr/share/blackbox/styles/$STYLE
>
> The second can easily be edited of course to amend the appearance of
> the preferred style (Rancor in my case) to be as previous versions (in
> fact, I can just overwrite the "new" style template with the old one).
>
> However, /usr/share/blackbox/menu is a little more problematic
> as I understand that if I edit this file manually, my edit will be
> overwritten each time I run SuSEconfig; after each YaST Online Update,
> or installation of software using YaST2, for instance.
>
> It is presumably possible, though, to edit the file which SuSEconfig
> invokes when writing the Blackbox configuration so that it
> re-configures it each time how I want it.
>
> Does anyone know the location of the file concerned, and whether this
> can be done?

Is it not possible to edit your ~/.blackboxrc file, changing the name of
your menu? This is, in fact, what I have had to do, because fluxbox
exhibits the same behavior. I used to use blackbox, and I seem to recall
that this can be done there as well.

Regards,

--

John Lalla
Santa Barbara, CA

.~. _
/v\ -o)
no gates... /( )\ /\\ running GNU/Linux
no windows! ^^^^^ _\_v free at last!

"Our capacity for understanding is inversely proportional to how much we
think we know. The more I know, the more I know I don't know . . . "