Re: [SLE] Huge boot delay with 9.1
  • From: Vince Littler <suse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 22:34:32 +0100
On Saturday 15 May 2004 9:26 pm, pinto wrote:
> On Saturday 15 May 2004 18:53, Vince Littler wrote:
> > had some sort of clue
>
> ~ some sort of hardware probe?
> . . . if you use Installation CD to "boot installed system", does that
> boot faster?
>
> [ if i have my usb modem plugged in, then my boot takes for ever ]
>
> --
>

> best wishes
>
> ____________
>
> sent on Linux
>
> ____________

Thanks for the response. Felt inspired as a result of your suggestion to try
booting 9.1 from LILO. No difference, still 2 minutes with a blank screen,
before the boot proper starts.

On trying with the DVD, I discovered that the DVD acually takes 4 minutes,
sitting at the multilingual 'Welcome' screen, before starting. First, I chose
to boot from the hard drive, using the GRUB on the DVD. This took me straight
to the GRUB on my HD, which gave a blanks screen as already described for 2
minutes as already described.

Next, I tried going into the Install and taking the install option to boot
installed system. This too sat with a blank screen for approx 4 minutes.

Carlos suggested to me reporting to feedback and this is what I shall do now.