Re: [SLE] Firewall-HOWTO. Where is it?
  • From: "John N. Alegre" <listhub@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 09:09:01 -0500 (CDT)
> Probably stupid question, but...
>
> I don't think Telnet and FTP are enabled by default...
>
> Did you start the services?

Yes I did. In 9.0. The full story on this is I bought 9.0 two weeks ago and
installed it. I never think I got the Firewall right. As I said I could not
telnet or ftp in from other machines on the LAN. This was after starting the
services and configuring the Firewall through Yast to be external internet only,
I thought.

Since hardly any configuration had been completed, rather then upgrade I did a
full install of 9.1 and have not done any configuration yet.

I did find the docs and may be I will read them this time:-(

A few questions for the list that I can not appear to find in the docs. How is
the Firewall configured after install of 9.1 without doing anything? Is it
safe as it is to external attack? Is ssh there by default or is that a
service turn on thing? If I could get ssh to work in conjunction with nfs I
should be fine without ftp and telnet.

Thanks
john
John N. Alegre o