Re: [SLE] Sound quirk in 9.1?
  • From: Bruce Marshall <bmarsh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 08:33:28 -0400
On Saturday 15 May 2004 02:16 am, Jay Vollmer wrote:
> Hi everybody.
>
> After installing SuSE9.1 on my main system, I noticed that the sound
> isaccompanied by an annoying hiss on the left channel.
>
> 9.0 didn't have this problem on this system.
>
> I've swapped out the cables, the speakers and the sound card.
> The same thing happens in every case.
>
> I know that the cards are good as they function flawlessly in other
> boxes.
>
> The right channel is crystal-clear.
>
> Honestly, I'm stumped.

So am I.... I'm running 9.0 but I am also running kernel 2.6.6 with it.

When I first started running 2.6.x kernels, I had a problem getting ALSA to
work with it so I accepted the use of OSS. Then one day I spent a lot of
time trying to get ALSA to work and I finally got some sound out of it. But
the hiss came with it and only on the left channel.

This is on an SB Ensonique card I believe. I was hoping that 9.1 would fix
the problem but it sounds like it is a problem in the ALSA code.

+ Bruce S. Marshall bmarsh@xxxxxxxxxx Bellaire, MI 05/15/04 08:30 +
"A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore." -- Yogi Berra