Re: [SLE] SUSE 9.1 & Firewire harddrive
  • From: "Art Fore" <afore@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 15:18:25 -0700
The ro does not seem to make any difference as I have tried it with and without for the ntfs. kfd works with the ntfs and usb2 or firewire. Will try your suggestion for the reiserfs partitions.

Art

Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto wrote:

Art,

if you got the same problem using USB 2.0 and Firewire, then you can exclude a
firewire problem. Does the kdf also work with USB 2.0?
Anyway, I've noticed some points about your /etc/fstab below:

Quoting Art Fore <afore@xxxxxxxxx>:

Got another drive kit with USB2 & Firewire and tried the same disk drive
in the USB2. Same thing as with firewire drive, it just comes up with
different mount point in /media.. A work colleague has Mepis installed,
and he tried it, it works great also as firewire. I downloaded the
KDiskFree (kdf), which Mepis uses, and installed it. Now I can mount
and access the ntfs partition, but when doing the reiserfs partition, it
says it is already mounted. Guess I need to figure out how to stop it
from the automatic mounting somehow.

Kernel is the default Suse kernel after yast online update.

Art

Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto wrote:

Quoting Art Fore <afore@xxxxxxxxx>:

fstab entries

/dev/sda2 /Firewire/winc ntfs
ro,noauto,users,uid=afore,gid=users,umask-0002 0 0

The ro option is not necessary, unless you change the kernel. By default the
ntfs driver doesn't allow writing. What happens if you remove the umask option
?

/dev/sda6 /Firewire/linux reiserfs
noauto,uid=afore,gid=users 0 0

You should not use the uid and gid options with reiserfs. I'm sorry if I've gave
you this impression. By the way, I was having a problem yesterday, just because
of this. After removing the uid and gid it started working again! :-(
Hope this helps.

Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto
Network Manager and Systems Administrator
Angra do HeroĆ­smo Nursing School (ESEnfAH)