Re: [SLE] Huge boot delay with 9.1
  • From: Vince Littler <suse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 20:29:04 +0100
On Friday 14 May 2004 8:29 am, Tim Nicholson wrote:
> Vince Littler wrote:
> > Can anyone throw any light on this?
> >
> > 9.0 boots normally, with 2.4.21-215-athlon. However 9.1, newly installed
> > to a spare partition, loads via GRUB and hangs for exactly 2 minutes as
> > far as I can tell, before proceeding to boot quite normally. This hang
> > also affects the DVD boot process, I believe.
>
> I have noticed on 9.0 a similar problem on the first restart after a
> lock up/crash. There is also then a long delay whilst the reiserFS
> transaction log is replayed. Thereafter the boot up returns to its
> normal speed.
>
> I wonder if the dual booting means that the logs are not sync'ed or
> somesuch, so that a similar situation arises?
>
> --
> Tim Nicholson

Thanks Tim for your reply. In my case, I boot with splash=verbose and after
leaving GRUB, _nothing_ is displayed for almost exactly 2 minutes after the
messages indicating what GRUB did. The HD is also silent for the duration.
After the 2 minutes, there is a brief rapid disk action, and then the console
displays boot messages, including the SCSI drivers activating. Reiserfs
activity comes after this - it is not part of my delay.

Nothing particularly stands out in /var/log/boot.msg either. Not that 9.0 [ie
kernel 2.4] does not handle.

Vince