RE: [SLE] double ip address on the same ethernet card: is it possible?
  • From: "Damon Jebb" <list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 11:13:28 +0100

> From: Luca Mollica
> before trying to configure the double ip connection, which
> one do you mean by
> "the first one" ?
> Mayb do you mean Riccardo Facchni's advice to add a virtual
> ethernet card with
> eth0:0 ?

Luca,

I believe that he was referring to the method of creating virtual
interfaces that I posted, where IP aliases are created in the ifcfg-eth0
file, not separate files. I have read else where (possibly on this
group, try a search) that the other method has some problems and this is
the preferred one. Sorry, I don't recall where. To me deprecated means
that although it works (the eth0:0 method) a newer, preferred method has
been implemented (the one I posted).

Having said this you may prefer to use the method recommended by
Riccardo Facchni as it will allow you to define all parameters to meet
your needs, not just the IP of the new interface. I would try both and
see which works best for you and bear in mind that deprecated (to me)
means that there is the potential for the method to become unsupported
(i.e. not work) in the future.

Regards,

Damon