Re: [SLE] DISSAPOINTING: Re: [SLE] SuSE 9.1, fails to read /dev/hda partitions...
  • From: Radu Voicu <suse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 12:02:14 +0300
I'm not the judge of that, BUT I pull the alarm on that one since 24.04.2004 - the subject of the mail was: "KOTD 2.6.5.8-60 - Bad XFS module", I quote:
"I've installed last night kernel-default-2.6.5-8.60.i586.rpm and I got kernel panic at xfs module - so I switched back to my "old" kernel-default-2.6.5-8.26 - I'm not blaming anyone, I thought that you should be aware of this"

Only Örn Hansen responded and he said, I quote:
"Recreate the initrd, and make sure the kernel module is there ... or, use the old initrd, it's the same kernel version, just a new build" - yeah, right! :))

Anyway, I have two proposals now for you, the SuSE team:
1. Maybe you should consider enlarging the Beta Team (I myself, I was trying to subscribe to the beta list, but nobody even bother to answer - this is not polite) :))
2. Let us know when the workaround (another CD1 ISO image or any workaround) will be available for download - I have a couple of machines with XFS / partitions waiting for the upgrade :)))

Thanks,
Radu

Thorsten Kukuk wrote:

On Thu, May 13, Mads Martin Joergensen wrote:

* Radu Voicu <suse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [May 12. 2004 07:58]:

I CAN'T believe that nobody used XFS in the whole BETA team - it seems
unbelievable!!!!

Well, I did. I discovered the bug. But when such a bug is introduced
very late in the process, and found too late wrt. shipping it, the only
way for us to remedy is to provide an update.

To be more fair: The xfs bug itself was very old, but was hidden by
another bug. Fixing the second bug in the last minute activates the
xfs bug, which was found too late. At some point you cannot stop
the process anymore.

Thorsten