URGENT Open Source alert for the EU!!!
  • From: Fred Miller <fmiller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 13:59:42 -0400
This is important and urget (we have 4 days to take action). I quote:

Mandrakesoft would like to alert all users and the software community at
large about a recent clandestine attack by proprietary interests through
covert adoption of EU Software Patent Legislation.

In direct contravention of the recent vote by the European Parliament to
curtail Software Patents, the Irish Presidency of the European Union has
surreptitiously reinstated unlimited software patent language into the
text of a statement to be adopted by the European Council of Ministers on
Monday, May 17, without further debate!

Full article is below:

http://software.newsforge.com/software/04/05/13/1447225.shtml?tid=132&tid=150&tid=82

OpenOffice.org has a very strong presence in Europe. PLEASE, to all our
European members, contact your local representative about this. As for
everyone else, you can still contact the media. Heck! contact European
agencies!

--
"The only secure Microsoft software is what's still
shrink-wrapped in their warehouse..." (Forno)