RE: [SLE] SUSE 9.1 and nvidia
  • From: "John N. Alegre" <listhub@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 11:54:26 -0500 (CDT)
John

On 13-May-04 John Pettigrew wrote:
> I've just installed my new 9.1 on my main PC, and it's working OK. One
> problem
> that's persisted from previous versions, though, is the total inability to
> run
> the nvidia driver. I installed it through YOU (and what a long update *that*
> is for a new product!) and it installs fine. However, just as it always has,
> it fails to find any usable modes when the config test is run. So, I've got
> resort to the nv driver again.

For both 9.0 and 9.1 my hands never got a Nvidia driver installed with YOU.

Read http://www.suse.de/~sndirsch/nvidia-installer-HOWTO then download the
NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336-pkg1.run shar archive from the Nivida linux drivers
area of www.nvidia.com. Be sure to get the 5336 package not an earlier one.

Boot SuSE init 3.

Make sure you have installed all Kernel sources and follow the HOWTO exactly. I
found that it was unnecessary to do the make cloneconfig step. I just ran the
shar script and did the sax2 config.

Note that the sax2 config step does take a while and durring part if it your
screen goes blank. I screwed up the first time and aborted thinking it had
failed. Just be patient.

Hope this helps
john
John N. Alegre o