Re: [SLE] How to make it 64-bit Linux?
  • From: Riccardo Facchini <abief_ag_-suseml@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 08:39:44 -0700 (PDT)

--- Chris Carlen <crcarle@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Greetings:
>
> I have just installed Suse 9.1 Professional on my AMD64 system. When
>
> the installer ran, it said:
>
> "Cool computer, but you are about to install 32-bit software on a
> 64-bit
> computer. ... <CONTINUE>"
>
> The continue button was the only option. Actually, I want the 32-bit
>
> system for primary use, but want to tinker with a 64-bit installation
> on
> another partition.
>
> But I don't understand how to tell it to install the 64-bit version.
> The message above occurs before the boot menu from the CD
> installation
> can be enterred.
>
> Oh I get it, it appears the 64-bit stuff is on the two DVDs, while
> the
> CDs are all 32-bit.
>
> Huh!
>
> I guess I'll have to get a DVD drive to experiment with 64-bit?!?!?!

AFAIK, Yes, I haven't got the 9.1 yet (waiting... got word from asknet
that's on the way), but from what I read, the DVD1 contains 32bit on
one side and 64bit on the other side, and DVD2 contains (I presume) the
source code. Don't know what's on the CD, but based on the 9.0 release,
it will probably be only the binaries for 32bit.

I purchased a LG-DVDRAM 404x just for that... ;-)