Re: [SLE] 9.1 unable to find ethernet card at boot SOLVED
  • From: Fergus Wilde <fwilde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 13:57:08 +0100
On Thursday 13 May 2004 11:14, Fergus Wilde wrote:
> Apologies for a second post on this theme, because it's critical and will
> require the machine to be reverted to an earlier version (all of which
> worked) if unsolved. I'm hoping a few more people have 9.1 on by now. I've
> never backed out a new SuSE version, and am not anxious to have to start
> now, so if anyone has a clue ...
>
> The machine, all hardware unchanged for many years and ultra-reliable,
> cannot find its Etherlink III card at boot after 9.1 install, here's part
> of /var/ log/boot.msg:
>
> Initializing random number generatordone
> <notice>exit status of (random isdn hotplug) is (0 0 0)
> <notice>start services (coldplug)
> coldplug scanning input: done
> scanning pci: ***.**Wdone
> scanning usb: done
> . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
> . .done <notice>exit status of (coldplug) is (0)
> <notice>start services (network)
> Setting up network interfaces:
> lo
> lo IP address: 127.0.0.1/8 done
> Waiting for mandatory devices: eth-id-00:50:da:3c:65:34
> 19 18 17 16 15 14 13 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 2 1 0
> eth-id-00:50:da:3c:65:34 No interface found failed
> Setting up service
> network . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .failed
> <notice>exit status of (network) is (7)
> <notice>start services (syslog)
>
> Ifconfig of course can't see the card, and I can only get a network back by
> going into YaST and opening the network devices section, where the card is
> correctly described and configured. This alone, not changing anything, is
> enough to bring eth0 up.
>
> My question is essentially what has changed in this version of SuSE to
> break things, and how can they be fixed?

Thanks to Bruce Marshall and Jerry Westrick for pointing out that the module
(in this case 3c509) for the network card had probably been omitted from the
mkinitrd process and thus from the initial ramdisk.

As Bruce said that means going to /etc/sysconfig/kernel, and editing thus:

## Type: string
## Command: /sbin/mkinitrd
#
# This variable contains the list of modules to be added to the initial
# ramdisk by calling the script "mk_initrd"
# (like drivers for scsi-controllers, for lvm or reiserfs)
#
INITRD_MODULES="reiserfs 3c509"
^^^^^^

## Type: string
## ServiceRestart: boot.loadmodules
#
# This variable contains the list of modules to be loaded
# once the main filesystem is active ...
<etc>

So that your network card is in the INITRD_MODULES section. Don't know why
the install didn't get it in there, but now I can do remote boots I'm a happy
bunny on that score.
Best
Fergus

--