RE:floppy format!!! I GOT IT!
  • From: Stephen W <winstephen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 19:21:31 -0700 (PDT)
Such a little thing
So much effort (trial and error)
Who would ever think learning to format a floppy would
be such a big thing?

When I finally got the spellings right
When I finally learned i had to be ROOT to do it
This is what I got...

But I have questions from all of this: (It is in the
last paragraph)

linux:/home/winstephen # mke2fs /dev/fd0 1440
mke2fs 1.28 (31-Aug-2002)
Filesystem label=
OS type: Linux
Block size=1024 (log=0)
Fragment size=1024 (log=0)
184 inodes, 1440 blocks
72 blocks (5.00%) reserved for the super user
First data block=1
1 block group
8192 blocks per group, 8192 fragments per group
184 inodes per group

Writing inode tables: done
Writing superblocks and filesystem accounting
information: done

This filesystem will be automatically checked every 29
mounts or
180 days, whichever comes first. Use tune2fs -c or -i
to override.

Why check every 29 mounts ro 180 days...
Why?
What is it looking for?

What is "tune2fs" -c or -i to override (Override
what?)

Tried to look in man for "tune2fs" (Duh, am I in the
dark) and there was a lot about "journaling" (which
when I tried to man journal - there was "no entry."
On to Google...

(And people think college is difficult)

Thanks again you all, at least I can format a
floppy... I am not sure what else I have set up to get
done by some little sprit that resides in the innards
or my computer... (that little thing that is going to
be counting mounts and/or days)... Sure is fun

=====
Stephen W
Sarasota, FL

"A merry heart doeth good like a medicine ..." Proverbs