Simplified Method for Upgrading KDE
  • From: "L. Mark Stone" <LMStone@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 11:08:40 -0400
Good Morning,

Every time I read on this list about someone upgrading KDE, it always
seemed that there were too many "gotchas" to make me comfortable to try
it myself. But then I did something silly to my KDE installation, so I
was essentially forced into doing an upgrade.

What follows was adapted from a readme file somewhere that I can no
longer find on the KDE web site (I think), as well as from several
posts on this and other lists. There is nothing original here other
than having it all in one place.

I used this method to update KDE from 3.1.x to 3.2.2 on SuSE Pro 8.2 and
also on 9.0. I used apt to install some dependent rpms at one point,
but you could install those rpms with rpm just as easily.

I wound up with a very stable system, but as always, YMMV.

Before starting, keep in mind that upgrading KDE means losing the
functionality provided by the kdebase3-SuSE rpm. I never relied on
this functionality, so I don't miss it. To be honest, I don't know all
of the functionality that is included in this package, so, please check
this out if you think this may be important to you.

OK, here we go, step-by-step. I did all of this logged in as a regular
user in my existing KDE installation on SuSE 8.2. On the SuSE 9.0
system, I did this logged in as a regular user running ULB-Gnome:

1. Download all of the rpm packages at:
ftp://ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/stable/3.2.2/SuSE/ix86/ from the directory
appropriate for your distro.

2. Open a shell prompt as root.

3. cd to the directory containing the new KDE rpms.

4. Execute the following commands (still as root):
rpm -e kdebase3-SuSE
rpm -e kdenetwork3-mail
rpm -Uvh taglib*.rpm

5. KDE 3.2.2 has some extra packages dependencies that need to get
installed. I used apt to install them, but you could always install
them another way. It may not be a good idea to use YaST however,
because we don't need SuSEconfig running just yet, and I don't know if
YaST will try to reinstall kdebase3-SuSE automagically or not. I
simply didn't test using YaST at this point. What I did was:

apt-get install flac
apt-get install gnokki

6. Now comes the big test to upgrade KDE proper:

rpm -Fvh *.rpm

If you have any unmet dependencies, use apt or rpm to install the
requested packages and then rerun the above command again. At no point
did I need to use the --force parameter when installing any KDE or
dependent packages.

Note: -Fvh (if you don't know) only upgrades packages that are already
installed on your system. Since KDE 3.2 has organized the packages
differently from 3.1, you may want at this point to install some of the
additional, new KDE 3.2 packages you might think you need/want.

7. Open your Home folder (do this for each user on your system) and
rename the .kde and .mcop directories to something like .kde-3.1
and .mcop-3.1 for example. KDE will recreate these directories with
default settings when it fires back up. You will lose your
customizations, but as I understand it you will also purge some bits
that are dependent upon the kdebase3-SuSE package (which should never
be reinstalled).

8. Cross all crossable parts of your body and reboot. You will/should
have a clean, upgraded KDE system when the reboot is finished. (Not
sure if it was necessary, but I opened up a shell prompt as root and
ran SuSEconfig manually after the reboot.)

9. To restore the "Start New Session" menu item to the KDE menu, make
the following changes to the two copies of the file "XServers" located
in each of /opt/kde3/share/config/kdm/ and /etc/X11/xdm/:

Look for the line:
:0 local@tty1 /usr/X11R6/bin/X :0 vt07

Add two new lines so the section looks like this:
:0 local@tty1 /usr/X11R6/bin/X :0 vt07
:1 local reserve /usr/X11R6/bin/X :1 vt08
:2 local reserve /usr/X11R6/bin/X :2 vt09

It may not be required, but I rebooted again at this point.

10. Log in, run Control Center to customize your eye candy, and enjoy!

I hope this is helpful.

Best regards to all,
Mark
A Message From... L. Mark Stone