Re: [SLE] Re: More on mounting cf cards / cameras / stability of konq 3.2.2
  • From: Fergus Wilde <fwilde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 15:51:53 +0100
On Wednesday 12 May 2004 14:56, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> * Fergus Wilde <fwilde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [05-12-04 08:46]:
> > On Wednesday 12 May 2004 11:52, you wrote:

> > Another reply to own thread - sorry - I just think USB experts might spot
> > why 8.2 and 9.0 can mount this compact flash disk so that one can
> > actually read data off it either in a reader or in a camera, and why 9.1
> > can do neither.
> >
> > For the benefit of those who may not have enjoyed previous elements of
> > the thread, in essence the mounting process gets as far as providing a
> > location like:
> >
> > file:/media/usb-storage-odd-NIKON-NIKONDSCD70:0:0:0p1
> >
> > But then won't actually let you read the disk, and locks Konqueror 3.2.2
> > so that it has to be destroyed.
> >
> > Here's a transcript of 9.1 struggling to mount the camera, twice:

<snip long dull transcript in earlier post>

And Patrick suggested:

> You might try:
>
> as root make a directory under /media ie: mkdir /media/sda1
> as root do: /sbin/rchotplug restart
> plugin the chip
> as root: mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /media/sda1
>
> then try to access the directory /media/sda1
>
> report results
> --
> Patrick Shanahan

Thanks again, Patrick: effectively it won't let you do that. I indeed
created /media/sda1, restarted hotplug, etc, but it will only mount as:

/media/usb-storage-odd-NIKON-NIKONDSCD70:0:0:0p1

I tried deleting that directory, but as soon as you switch on the camera it
recreated it and mounted it before I could issue the alternate mount command
you suggest. The appropriate part of the output of 'mount' looks like:

pc02:/home/fergus # mount
usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
/dev/sda1 on /media/usb-storage-odd-NIKON-NIKONDSCD70:0:0:0p1 type subfs
(rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,sync,fs=floppyfss,procuid)

You can cd to that directory:

pc02:/home/fergus # cd /media/usb-storage-odd-NIKON-NIKONDSCD70\:0\:0\:0p1/
pc02:/media/usb-storage-odd-NIKON-NIKONDSCD70:0:0:0p1 # ls

But the ls command never returns and it locks up the Konsole window.

Still drawing a blank, I fear - for the benefit of newcomers, and at the risk
of nauseating those who've read the thread, this all worked fine in 8.2 and
9.0

Thanks for your input
Fergus

--