Re: [SLE] Samba: can not create files
  • From: JFL <jfl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 12:43:52 +0200
I am running Suse Pro 9 on my desktop, and are unable to create files on a Samba 3 server running Fedora Core 1.
I can modify files.
I can create files from other machines than my Suse.
What could be wrong?

How are you logging in from SuSE to your Fedora Samba box? As guest or with
login/password? Did you mount the share or are you just browsing in
Konqueror with smb:/ ?

The samba share is created when my machine boot as the data is entered in /etc/samba/smbfstab

Does that mean it's mounted by root? With which permissions?

No. I give it the same username and password as when I connect from Windows.

I'm sure, but when root mounts it under Linux it does set permissions for who
can use it with which permissions. I've had similar problems automounting
Windows partitions by root, and then writing to them from my normal user
login.

When it's mounted, try if you can create files under your root login. If you
can, then it's probably local permissions that are biting you here.

Great, I'll try this when I get at work.
Thanks a lot.

Jacob

< Previous Next >