Re: [SLE] DISSAPOINTING: Re: [SLE] SuSE 9.1, fails to read /dev/hda partitions...
  • From: Frederic Soulier <frederic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 07:52:24 +0100
On Wed, 2004-05-12 at 06:56, Radu Voicu wrote:
> Well, yeah, sadly, I had the same problem, I had /dev/hda2 (root partition)
> formatted XFS, but the kernel wasn't able to mount it... I am still
> wondering what to do... to boot with an older SuSE distro (8.2, 9.0), and to
> update the kernel somehow (there's plenty of updates available - that makes
> me wonder if that wasn't a "rush release" - I don't have any excuse for the
> SuSE team and I find NO explanation, whatsoever, for leaving the kernel
> without XFS support)
>
> I had LOTS of other problems, (no XFS support, slab.c kernel panic, grub not
> installable, hunging at start, hunging at installation finish)
>
> I am pretty upset and I feel like I have been let down by the SuSE team, I
> wasn't expecting such a mess from a German company
>
> I CAN'T believe that nobody used XFS in the whole BETA team - it seems
> unbelievable!!!!

Same pbm here. Installed 9.1 with ReiserFS then when I tried to mount my
/home (XFS) from my Mandrake 9.2 installation I got a seg fault. Had to
reboot to MDK 9.2, transfer the data I needed to a temporary
"compatible" space then reboot into 9.1...

I bought 9.1 pro for the supposed quality (being a long time Mandrake
user, I know what a lack of QA can sometimes produce) but I must say I'm
slightly disappointed. Except for the awesome YAST2 and the 9.1 pro
packaging the rest of the distro is like Mandrake or not as good.

I also think that kernel 2.6.x is not as good (stable?) as kernel
2.24.20+ is. With both Suse 9.1 and MDK 10.0 my box has been unstable
with sudden reboots. I don't get that (or a lot less) with MDK 9.2

/Fred

< Previous Next >