Re: [SLE] Determine the installed bootloader ?
  • From: Vince Littler <suse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 17:50:10 +0100
On Tuesday 11 May 2004 3:21 pm, Dan Am wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> okok, thanks for your input. I think we'll settle for:
> > dd if=/dev/hda bs=512 count=1| strings
>
> Actually I figured it out after I decided to post. Just thought, there
> might have been some "standard" command I missed. Thanks again :-)
> -dan
> --
> buddha 2.6.4-54.5-default 9:05am an 19:31, 1 Benutzer,

Only just got home and to my email.

Given that it is remote, you can't boot it remotely and see what happens. But
if you can dd it, you could put it onto the boot sector of a floppy locally
and try booting that. Even though it won't boot meaningfully, a GRUB boot
sector will say 'GRUB' [just tried it] and a LILO will probably start to
spell out 'LILO' - it uses that to indicate progress, so you might need to be
off the boot sector before you get it all.

Too late now, I know, but maybe useful in future?

Vince