Re: [SLE] new 9.1 install and just a few questions
  • From: Bruce Marshall <bmarsh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 12:52:08 -0400
On Monday 10 May 2004 12:24 pm, Rob Freeman wrote:
> I am converting over from being a windoz / red hat user to suse, and I love
> it. The best desktop distro ever made IMHO. I do have 2 questions that I
> am hoping someone can answer for me.

Welcome to SuSE.....

> 1) I have a samba server on my network, and I mapped a folder to it with
> this command:
>
> mount -t smbfs -o username=rob,password=xxxxxx //192.168.1.69/data /data
>
> It connects great, but when I try to copy files over 10 megs, My suse
> stalls and just sits there until I kill it or reboot it.

I had this problem long ago... and it's not a question asked very often.

What solved it for me was to replace the following line in
your /etc/samba/smb.conf

socket options = SO_KEEPALIVE IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY

with:

socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=32768 SO_SNDBUF=32768 SO_KEEPALIVE
IPTOS_LOWDELAY

(all one statement)

My symptoms were the same as yours. Worked ok on small files, would die on
large ones. Give it a try.

> 2) I am sure this is a common question, but I have not figured out how to
> do this. I have a bunch of wmv files, but can not play them. I tried to
> instal vlc, but I was missing a bunch of dependancies even after using this
> link http://packman.links2linux.de/?action=377.
>
> I tried to install the w32codec-0.90-3.pm.0.i386.rpm, and it installed
> fine, but still no playing of the wmv files.
>
> Is there some way of getting these to play?
>
> I look forward to being an active member of this great distro! I am sooooo
> excited to almost be rid of windoz forever!
>
> Thanks in advanced
>
> Rob

+ Bruce S. Marshall bmarsh@xxxxxxxxxx Bellaire, MI 05/10/04 12:48 +
"Farming looks easy when your plow is a pencil and you're a thousand miles
from a cornfield." - Dwight D. Eisenhower