Re: [SLE] cron email
  • From: Bruce Marshall <bmarsh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 06:55:26 -0400
On Tuesday 11 May 2004 12:37 am, John Lalla wrote:
> On 10 May, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> > * John Lalla <john.lalla@xxxxxxx> [05-10-04 21:17]:
> >> Running fetchmail in daemon mode is all well and good, but if one is
> >> running multiple accounts, each wanting their own mail checked whether
> >> logged in or not, cron is the way to go to my mind.
> >
> > Why don't you just run one instance of fetchmail and include the
> > multiple accounts in your fetchmailrc. Seems like there would be
> > considerable less system overhead and complexity. You *do* realize
> > that this is plausible?
>
> Unfortunately, all household members use the same pop server. I tried
> such a setup and it wouldn't work. Hence, cron, fetchmail and procmail
> all drawing on individual rc files.
>
> If you know of a better way, please tell. Although, my present setup
> seems to be working with no hitches.
>
> Regards,

Why would the fact that they all use the same pop server matter?? They each
have their own userid I assume?

Here's just part of my /etc/fetchmailrc:

set daemon 300
set logfile /var/log/fetchmail
defaults
proto pop3
mda "/usr/bin/procmail -f %F -d %T "
#
# user1@<joe-isp.com>
poll joe-isp.com user user1 pass xyzzy
# user2@<joe-isp.com>
poll joe-isp.com username user2 pass qrstu

+ Bruce S. Marshall bmarsh@xxxxxxxxxx Bellaire, MI 05/11/04 06:51 +
"Good friends and fish stink after 3 days. - Ben Franklin
specially if you don't refrigerate them. - Terry Mahoney"