new 9.1 install and just a few questions
  • From: "Rob Freeman" <sysadmin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 11:24:38 -0500
I am converting over from being a windoz / red hat user to suse, and I love
it. The best desktop distro ever made IMHO. I do have 2 questions that I
am hoping someone can answer for me.

1) I have a samba server on my network, and I mapped a folder to it with
this command:

mount -t smbfs -o username=rob,password=xxxxxx //192.168.1.69/data /data

It connects great, but when I try to copy files over 10 megs, My suse stalls
and just sits there until I kill it or reboot it.

2) I am sure this is a common question, but I have not figured out how to
do this. I have a bunch of wmv files, but can not play them. I tried to
instal vlc, but I was missing a bunch of dependancies even after using this
link http://packman.links2linux.de/?action=377.

I tried to install the w32codec-0.90-3.pm.0.i386.rpm, and it installed fine,
but still no playing of the wmv files.

Is there some way of getting these to play?

I look forward to being an active member of this great distro! I am sooooo
excited to almost be rid of windoz forever!

Thanks in advanced

Rob

< Previous Next >