Will SuSE 10 support Intel S-ATA chipsets?
  • From: Bryan Feeney <bfeeney@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 13:30:12 +0100
I've bought a brand new Dell Dimension 8300 with a Serial-ATA drive.
According to Windows I have an Intel 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage
Container. I was going to install my existing copy of SuSE 9.0 on it,
but the ICH5-SATA drivers used by the installer don't working.

Using the safe setting (ide=nodma, apm=off, acpi=off) the system
displays the usual boot up and then freezes. Below are the last lines it
displays. From what I've seen on the net, the problem is that the ICH5
driver in 9.0 is in an early (and unreliable) revision and bails out.
Using the normal settings less information is displayed and the system
freezes after displaying the second "hdb: probing..." line.

This is a kernel freeze I'm talking about. Stuff like [Shift]-[PgUp]
doesn't work.

It is not possible, as far as I can see, to switch to legacy PATA mode
in the BIOS.

So what I need to know is, will SuSE 10 do a better job of supporting this?

Also there's the issue of buying the SuSE update CD. I paid for the
first one in the hope of paying less for each successive upgrade. Can I
install the Upgrade pack on a PC, which hasn't first got SuSE 9
installed on it? What limits are there with the update pack?

Thanks for any advice
--
Bryan Feeney

The last lines of the kernel output

Uniform Multi-Platorm E-IDE Driver Revision: 7.00-beta4-2.4
ide: assuming 33Mhz system bus speed for PIO modes, override with idebus=xx
PIIX-4: IDE Controller at PCI slot 00:1f.1
PCI: Found IRQ 9 for device 00:1f.1
PCI: Sharing IRQ 9 with 00:1d.2
PCI: Sharing IRQ 9 with 00:1f.2
PIIX-4: chipset revision 2
PIIX-4: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
ide0: BM-DMA at 0xffa8-0xffaf, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:pio
ICH5-SATA: IDE Controller at PCI slot 00:1f.2
PCI: Found IRQ 9 for device 00:1f.2
PCI: Sharing IRQ 9 with 00:1d.2
PCI: Sharing IRQ 9 with 00:1f.1
ICH5-SATA: chipset revision 2
ICH5-SATA: 100% native mode on irq 9
ide0: BM-DMA at 0xfea0-0xfea7, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:pio
hda: ST3120026AS, ATA Disk Drive
hdb: probing with STATUS(0x00) instead of ALTSTATUS(0x50)
hdb: probing with STATUS(0x00) instead of ALTSTATUS(0x50)
hdc: HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4481B ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM Drive ide0 at
0xfe00-0xfe07,0xfe12 on irq 9
ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
hda: attached ide-disk driver