Re: [SLE] memo on windows
  • From: Sid Boyce <sboyce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 10:52:45 +0100
A.L Paul wrote:

Hi all,I need to reassure someone just how unrealiable a windows platform
can be especially if its used as a server of any sort and is a proxy to the
internet.Also,and more importantly,I need facts and figures on the linux
equivalent so that I can put things into proper perspective for them to wake
up to reality.
thanks Paul.

That's a broad subject, there is a TCO study http://www.cyber.com.au/cyber/about/linux_vs_windows_tco_comparison.pdf, http://www.michaelhorowitz.com/Linux.vs.Windows.html.
Performance Stats -- http://www.kegel.com/nt-linux-benchmarks.html
http://dan.hersam.com/opinions/linux.html
Check on google, there have been so many over the years, including one I saw only last week on either lwn.net or linuxtoday.com from a very experienced MSCE who voiced his frustration with Windows as opposed to Linux.
If I want to earn lots of money, I work on Sun/Solaris, if I want to stay clear of exhaustion, I work on S/390 and I've seen posts where guys have said they get to sleep at nights after moving from Windows to Linux at work.
Regards
Sid.

--
Sid Boyce .... Hamradio G3VBV and keen Flyer
Linux Only Shop.