Permissions - explanation, please?
  • From: Michael Satterwhite <michael@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 May 2004 15:18:20 -0500

I found the problem I was having earlier and fixed it. I still don't
understand it, so maybe someone can enlighten me.

I created a group (kdev) in Yast and added my userid to it. This was also set
to the group owner of a directory. Even so, I couldn't write to the
directory.

I finally did a "groups" command, and I saw that my userid did not reflect
itself as belonging to "kdev" - even though Yast (and /etc/group) clearly
showed that it was. This didn't change until I logged off and logged back in.

I understand the system caching the group list for efficiency, but shouldn't
the cache have been refreshed after I made the modifications? I thought Yast
took care of that (obviously, I was wrong). Is there another way to force the
groups list to be refreshed. Having to logoff - or reboot - is so ... Windows
like.

Would someone please enlighten me. Inquiring minds want to know. <g>