Re: [SLE] Wine
  • From: Michael Satterwhite <michael@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 May 2004 09:50:13 -0500

On Sunday 09 May 2004 09:08, Billie Walsh wrote:
> I have a couple older Window$ programs that I would like to run. Mostly
> because I can't seem to find Linux programs that I like that do the jobs I
> want done.
>
> SuSE 9.0 comes with Wine and I even downloaded and installed the newest and
> greatest version. Now, how do I get it to work? I can't find it in any
> menu. I can't find an executable in any of the directories, just a bunch of
> "so" and "dll" files and other things I suppose Wine needs to function.
>
> Is it supposed to just pop open when I click the program I want to run or
> is there some shell that I start first?

Once you've installed Wine, you need to configure it for your user. From a
console, type "wine". Follow the instructions to setup your fake_windows
directory.

After you've configured it, put the setup disk in your drive (I'll assume it's
in /media/cdrom) and mount it. Assuming it has a standard setup.exe on it,
from a console type

wine /media/cdrom/setup.exe

It should step you through the installation just as if you were doing it in
Windows. Note that not all packages run under wine, although they're getting
better.