Re: [SLE] xemacs and ftp client
  • From: Hans du Plooy <hansdp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 May 2004 16:48:21 +0200
On Saturday 08 May 2004 14:50, Robert Locke wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Two simple(?) questions. I'm new on SuSE 9.9 personal.
>
> Is there some ftp client with a user GUI included?
> How do I install things like gFTP(www.gftp.org)?
> With Yast or...? And then how?
For gftp, go to www.usr-local-bin.org - you'll find good looking, beautifully
working builds of most of the major gnome apps there.

In KDE there are other ways that I'm only discovering now. In the addressbar
you can just type

ftp://user@xxxxxxxxxxxx/ and it will prompt you for your password and behave
like a normal directory on your hard drive.

There are more:

IMAP: imap://user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
SCP (secure copy over ssh): fish://user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Would have been nice if there was one for POP3 too

Back to your question, you should also be able to use the rpms from the SUSE
ftp server.

Hope it helps!

--
Kind regards