.thumbnails directory-- what controls its size?
  • From: "Fred M. Sloniker" <fizzit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 22:58:47 -0700
The other day, I was having trouble installing a kernel update because my
root partition was getting kind of full, which I thought was odd because
most of my big files were on another partition (a DOS partition, actually,
shared between Windows and Linux as a place to keep games, pictures, MP3s,
et cetera). So I did a little checking and discovered that my home
directory was a couple hundred megs, which didn't make sense to me as the
total of all the visible files was a lot less than that. Then I started
checking the sizes of INvisible files, which led me to the .thumbnails
directory, which contained the majority of the offending files. Many of
them were thumbnails for images I no longer even had on my hard drive in
full form. There were so many of them that 'rm *' failed because the
shell couldn't handle that many arguments!

Is there anywhere in KDE to set a maximum size for this directory, or a
time-based expiration, or something? I found the per-image setting, but I
don't want this thing to regenerate to a huge size if my brother decides
to sift through porn. Or is this directory being managed by another
program?