Re: [SLE] tar restore file ownership
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin1.listas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 May 2004 01:54:35 +0200 (CEST)

The Friday 2004-05-07 at 08:33 -0400, Kenneth Schneider wrote:

> > If it is, as I think, that the tar archive does not have that info, what
> > option, if any, should have been used to create the archive originally?
> >

> One additional option you may try is:
>
> --same-owner
>
> although I believe this is a default setting. You may also try using:
>
> tar tzvf archive.tgz | less
>
> to see the ownership and perms associated with the files.

I have discovered that some of my tar archives do not have permission info
for directories, only for files; whereas some other tar archives have the
info complete. One of the incomplete tars was made by Yast backup of suse
7.1 or 7.3

For example, when I extract a tree, I get:

.../home/ root:root
.../home/cer/ root:root (instead of cer:users)
.../home/cer/file cer:users
.../home/bin/ root:root (instead of cer:users)
.../home/bin/script cer:users

So, if the original tar did not save the permission information at that
time (years ago) there is nothing I can do now to recover them.

But I don't understand why some tar archives I did have it and some don't.

--
Cheers,
Carlos Robinson