Re: [SLE] Upgrade 9.0 -> 9.1 went totally wrong
  • From: Frits Wüthrich <frits@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 13:24:41 +0200
On Friday 07 May 2004 13:06, Anders Johansson wrote:
> On Friday 07 May 2004 12.59, Frits Wüthrich wrote:
> > >
> > > I didn't try the upgrade feature where you boot from the CD, but I did
> > > use the "Upgrade entire system" feature in yast, where you upgrade from
> > > a running system, and so far I seem to have avoided all problems
> > > reported on this list. I even have a working XFS, which apparently is a
> > > problem for some.
> >
> > On my 8.1 version YAST has under the software section 'System Update'. Is
> > this the choice you mean?
>
> Yes that's the choice I mean, but I'm not so sure about using it to go from
> 8.1 to 9.0 or 9.1. 8.1 used rpm 3.x, and 9.0 and 9.1 use 4.x, and when I
> upgraded to 9.0 I had a world of trouble. On one machine where I went from
> 8.2 to 9.0 I lost the entire rpm database and was forced to rebuild it from
> scratch. On another, where I went from 8.2 to 9.1, the database as a whole
> stayed intact but the packages that were upgraded at the same time as rpm
> were lost to rpm and had to be reinstalled. It was possible to do it and
> keep a running system, but it was a huge mess.
>
> By contrast, the systems were I've gone from 8.1 to 8.2, or 9.0 to 9.1,
> have gone through painlessly

Two days ago I updated from 8.1 to 9.1 by booting from the 9.1 CD. It worked
very well. I am a bit hesitant to follow the same path on this desktop, as I
don't want to lose any data, it is also a dual boot with WinXP. On my laptop
I didn't mind if I lost it all and had to install from scratch in case it got
messed up

What would be the best way to deal with this, without losing any data. I
already started doing it from the 9.1 DVD, but I aborted the installation
because I had first to delete my evolution version.

--
Frits Wüthrich

< Previous Next >