Mailinglist Archive: opensuse (4547 mails)

< Previous Next >
Re: [SLE] Upgrade 9.0 -> 9.1 went totally wrong
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 13:06:34 +0200
  • Message-id: <200405071306.34552.andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx>
On Friday 07 May 2004 12.59, Frits Wüthrich wrote:
> On Thursday 06 May 2004 13:21, Anders Johansson wrote:
> > On Thursday 06 May 2004 13.01, Wolfgang.Bauer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > > After I copied all my /home-data to my windowspartition via
> > > text-console and freshly installed 9.1, I had a running linux-system
> > > again. But I really have to say: poor upgrade-system. It used to work
> > > better with older Suse-distributions...
> >
> > I didn't try the upgrade feature where you boot from the CD, but I did
> > use the "Upgrade entire system" feature in yast, where you upgrade from a
> > running system, and so far I seem to have avoided all problems reported
> > on this list. I even have a working XFS, which apparently is a problem
> > for some.
>
> On my 8.1 version YAST has under the software section 'System Update'. Is
> this the choice you mean?

Yes that's the choice I mean, but I'm not so sure about using it to go from
8.1 to 9.0 or 9.1. 8.1 used rpm 3.x, and 9.0 and 9.1 use 4.x, and when I
upgraded to 9.0 I had a world of trouble. On one machine where I went from
8.2 to 9.0 I lost the entire rpm database and was forced to rebuild it from
scratch. On another, where I went from 8.2 to 9.1, the database as a whole
stayed intact but the packages that were upgraded at the same time as rpm
were lost to rpm and had to be reinstalled. It was possible to do it and keep
a running system, but it was a huge mess.

By contrast, the systems were I've gone from 8.1 to 8.2, or 9.0 to 9.1, have
gone through painlessly

< Previous Next >
Follow Ups