Re: [SLE] DHCP, Bind9 and DDNS setup
  • From: poeml@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 11:36:40 +0200
On Thu, May 06, 2004 at 03:51:42PM +0100, Dylan wrote:
> On Thursday 06 May 2004 15:05 pm, poeml@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > On Wed, May 05, 2004 at 07:15:01PM +0100, Dylan wrote:
> > > /etc/named.conf root:named rw-r-----
> > > /etc/named.keys root:named rw-r--r--
> >
> > That's wrong: named.keys is the one that must not be world readable,
> > not named.conf!
>
> If named.keys is not workd readable then dhcpd cannot read it since it
> is set by default to run as nobody:nogroup.

Untrue. This is only your assumption.

To explain that, it reads the configuration while still being root, i.e.
before changing user id to nobody. It never needs to read the file
again after that, because dhcpd does not support a "reload".

> > You should not add the key to dhcpd.conf itself -- instead include
> > the file /etc/named.keys.
>
> That's because I have changed the uploaded files as a result of other
> lines of inquiry.
>
> > Read the DDNS howto again.
>
> I have, several times.

Well, if you'd follow it _exactly_, I would be interested to learn what
doesn't work for you. :)

Peter